Saturday, June 13, 2015

Updates to the Unofficial Transformers Club and Convention Exclusive Data Pages

Since relaunching the blog as "Blackrock's Toybox," I've been working to update my web presence elsewhere, as well. Perhaps the most important items I maintain on the web are The Unofficial Transformers Club and Convention Exclusive Data Pages. Transformers: Animated art director Derrick J. Wyatt has likened the data pages to being a "BotCon Advent Calendar" and calls seeing them updated one of his "favorite things about BotCon season."* With BotCon 2015 just around the corner, I could use some help gathering information for these pages, as I will not be able to attend the convention myself this year.

Here is some of what I'll need:
  1. A clear picture of the "First Day Pin" provided to those who signed up before the deadline.
  2. Since I already have the prices of the souvenir sets this year (a first for the Fun Publications era), I just need some evidence connecting which price goes with which set. This is a low priority, as I can probably find this on my own, but feel free to drop me a line if you find I haven't updated the page yet to include this information, or if the information there is incorrect.
  3. A clear picture of the "Certificate of Authenticity" provided with the box set (assuming that this certificate indicates the total number of sets. It hasn't always done).
  4. If the posters seen around the convention (or perhaps the convention comic) indicate "limited edition" numbers for any/all exclusives, pictures of those images would be helpful.
  5. If any of the souvenirs or box sets (or loose sets) sell out during the convention, I'll need to be notified. An image of any posters clearly indicating such would be helpful, but this is not always possible.
Any communications can be sent to me via e-mail. Just use the link on the right-hand sidebar.

In addition, I've recently added a new page for San Diego Comic-Con and other non-BotCon convention exclusives. This page is still a bit of a work in progress, so if you know of a convention that features Transformers exclusives, I'd welcome the information! Here are some guidelines:
  1. At this time, I am still only including conventions with official Hasbro (and perhaps TakaraTomy) toys. Sorry, third-party fans, but to try to include non-Hasbro/TakaraTomy toys would simply be too large an undertaking for me at the present moment. Likewise, I'm only including product made by Hasbro/TakaraTomy. This not only excludes unofficial toys, but officially-licensed toys made by other groups (such as the Loyal Subjects toys exclusive to SDCC). I just have to draw the line somewhere.
  2. I am only including toy-related representations of Transformers characters. Plates, busts, and so on do not count (because they're not toy-related), nor things like Nerf blasters or Cuponk sets (even if they are Hasbro-made products that depict Transformers characters, they generally do not make any pretense of being the characters depicted). Again, I felt I had to draw the line somewhere, but admit that this may be seen as arbitrary.
  3. I will not be including production numbers for non-BotCon/Fun Publications toys. It's getting harder to include these with the BotCon toys, and I'm not sure at present if such numbers exist for other conventions. If someone can point me in a direction to get such numbers for exclusives from other conventions, I'm certainly willing to do some legwork to consider adding this information, but I definitely don't know how to get this information on my own.
One further update is worth mentioning. When I've written up a full feature on an exclusive toy, either for Blackrock's Toybox or the old Transforming Seminarian, I am now including a link to that article on the data pages. Simply click on the exclusive toy's name if a link is present. I will likely never have links for all of these toys, simply because I do not have access to all of them, but I'll try to do entries for as many as I can, given time.
    I hope that you will find these changes and additions helpful. Please feel free to leave any other comments or suggestions you like. I cannot promise to incorporate all suggestions, but I'll try to take them seriously and respond where appropriate.

    Thanks!

    *Disclaimer: The link Wyatt provides is to the data pages' previous server, which is no longer active. I moved the pages to a server provided by Captured Prey in 2014.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Transformers Wiki