Friday, June 21, 2013

Definitely-Not-Transformer Finds

One of the things I like to do when I have some spare time is drive to various parts of Southern California and check out the discount shops and thrift stores. Every now and then, I see some rather interesting Transformer-related items on the shelves. Neither of these toys I'm sharing today are technically Transformers, of course, but I figure they're still relevant....

The first oddity I thought worth writing about is this "Racing Force" set of two out-and-out knock-offs of Generation Two-era jets in packaging clearly meant to emulate the Transformers: Animated logo. I'm not entirely sure how those colors can be said to be the "latest fashion style" with a straight face, but there you go.

The other item is this transforming robot. When I realized what it was, I was reminded of an item that people had wished was real back when the 2007 live-action Transformers movie had first come out. In an important scene from that movie, an artifact from Cybertron called the "Allspark," which had fallen to Earth ages ago, was used to grant life to a number of regular mechanical objects. One of the items to be granted life in this manner was a Mountain Dew vending machine, and fans were known to be clamoring for an actual transforming toy of it for months afterward. While this little hunk of plastic doesn't turn into a soda vending machine, it does transform into a soda can (and, if the name on the package is any indication, a green one, although the robot sure looks blue to me)! I make no promises of liquid refreshment inside, and if there is any such liquid to be had, I really don't recommend drinking it!

But then, I only ever drink the real excessively-caffeinated Mountain Dew when I'm pulling an all-night paper-writing session (something I haven't had occasion to do for years now), so what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transformers Wiki