Thursday, February 11, 2010

The (Second) Return of the Popples?

If you were a kid in the mid-to-late 80's, you might remember "Popples."  If you weren't around then, or don't remember, I suppose that I might describe Popples as a kind of "plush Transformer."  That is to say, in one form, a Popple is just a fuzzy ball, but you can "pop" it open and turn it into a pudgy stuffed animal.  I seem to remember hearing something about the line "coming back" (as so many 80's toy lines have done) a couple of years ago, but I don't think I've ever seen any.

I have, however, stumbled upon these toys called "Fur Berries" while at Toys R Us recently.  So far as I can tell, it's pretty much the exact same thing as a Popple, perhaps with the Strawberry Shortcake gimmick (they're scented to smell like fruit) thrown in.  (Incidentally, both Popples and Strawberry Shortcake were done by the same company way back when.  Fur Berries don't seem to be by the same folks, though.)

I actually have to wonder if they've been around for a while, and I've simply never noticed.  The Fur Berries web site says you can buy these at (among other places) KB Toys, but KB went out of business more than a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transformers Wiki