Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Introducing The Jaunting Pad (A Tomorrow People Wiki)

The Christmas season was a time of a few surprises. Some of them good, some not so good. Among the good surprises: my folks really outdid themselves on their Christmas gifts this year. My wife and I have been enjoying watching Season 3 of Boston Legal, I've plugged in my TARDIS USB hub, and I'm having fun learning all the ins-and-outs of the iPod Nano (Michelle's already had an iPod for some time).

Among the not-so-good surprises, I learned that Big Finish was unable to renew their license with Fremantle Media to produce Tomorrow People audio stories. For the uninformed, The Tomorrow People was a children's series produced in the UK back in the '70s, which has seen revival in a couple of forms since then, of which the Big Finish audios were the most recent. The loss of the license means that the (rather intense) cliffhanger set up this past April will never be resolved. (Moving aside to rant for a minute, I really hate it when writers set up cliffhangers before they have a lock on the story even continuing at all. This is nothing new, and has happened quite a lot over the years, but there's really no excuse. All the writers have to do is give their stories closure, unless they know that the show's coming back. The response I got from Big Finish — "we had no reason to believe that we would not be able to release the sixth season" — really doesn't cut it, since they had to know that the license was still up for renewal. I've had to suffer through this for the 90's revival of Dark Shadows, pretty much all of the Dreamwave Transformers line of comics, and even Team Knight Rider! Yeah, that last one deserved to be canceled. The writers could still have given it an actual ending!)

OK. Rant over. While I was searching through the web for a live forum to discuss this state of affairs with other Tomorrow People fans (all I found was an e-mail list, which seems to be defunct. At least, I haven't gotten anything since signing up last week), I stumbled upon a Tomorrow People wiki. While reading the "purpose" page, I realized that this was actually a wiki that I had asked to have created, and that I was actually credited as the wiki's creator! I had done this back in September, but never got a response that my request had been granted (the e-mail was probably caught by my spam filter), and so I had forgotten about it until "rediscovering" it through my search.

Apparently, no one else had discovered the wiki either, as it was still almost entirely empty when I found it. So I have a request for anyone out there who might be a Tomorrow People fan: please check out the wiki, which I've called "The Jaunting Pad." If you're not a fan yourself, but know someone who is, please send them the link. I've set up a basic structure to the site and a few sample entries to give people an idea of the format I'm shooting for. There's a lot of information that needs to be filled in, and I can't possibly do it myself. Frankly, I'm surprised that this hasn't been attempted by any of a few much more dedicated and informed TP fans I know are out there (and I did do a search to see what else I could find). Hopefully, together we can build up this resource, and the show will continue to live beyond the confines of licenses and broadcast requirements.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you enjoyed the '90s revival of "Dark Shadows." I watched that again a few months ago. A continuation of the story would certainly have been appreciated...

    I see you made no comment about *my* Christmas gift to you. Hmmph. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. A post not even really about the Christmas gifts, and that's what you have to comment about?

    Ah, well, consider it fixed.

    ReplyDelete

Transformers Wiki